First, we should answer the question: Why A Montessori Curriculum?
A Montessori program is based on self-direction, non-competitive and cooperative activities that help a child develop a strong self-image, high levels of academic and social competence, and the confidence to face challenges with optimism. Encouraged to make decisions from and early age, Montessori educated children are problem solvers who can make appropriate choices, manage their time, and work will with others. They exchange ideas and discuss work freely. These positive communication skills build the foundations for negotiating new settings.
|Montessori||Traditional Daycare and Preschool|
|Emphasis on Cognitive and Social Development||Emphasis on Rote Learning and Social Behavior|
|Teacher has guiding role||Teacher controls classroom|
|Environment and method encourage self-discipline||Teacher acts as primary enforcer of discipline|
|Mainly individual instruction||Mainly group instruction|
|Mixed age groups||Same age groups|
|Grouping encourages children to teach and collaborate||Teaching is done by teacher; collaboration is discouraged|
|Child chooses own work||Curriculum structured for child|
|Child discovers own concepts from self-teaching materials||Child is guided to concepts by teacher|
|Child is allocated time to work on and complete lesson||Child generally allotted specific time for work|
|Child sets own learning pace||Instruction pace set by group|
|Child spots own errors from feedback of material||Errors in child’s work highlighted by teacher|
|Child reinforces own learning by repetition of work and internal feelings of success||Learning is reinforced externally by repetition, rewards and punishment|
|Child can work where he chooses, move about and talk at will (yet not disturb work of others), group work voluntary||Child usually assigned seat; required to participate during group lessons|
|Multi-sensory materials for physical exploration organizes program for learning care of self and environment||No organized program for self-care instruction – left primarily up to parents|
A Must-Read for Prospective Montessori Families:
A Parents’ Guide to the Montessori Classroom
Please click the link to access the PDF form of this exceptional outline and introduction to the Montessori curriculum!!
Why Adventure Montessori?
At Adventure Montessori, we provide a foundation for academic and personal excellence and encourage the love of learning inherent in every student through participation and engagement.
AML is the only Montessori School in the area that provides:
– A speech-language pathologist, a learning disability specialist, and a certified
educational therapist on staff.
– This team of professionals observes, screens, assesses, and diagnoses speech
disorders, language disorders, learning disabilities, and identifies both gifted and
twice exceptional students.
– Why does AML have these specialists on staff when other Montessori schools do not?
- At AML our primary goal is to value and respect each child, and by having a deep
understanding of each child’s strengths and challenges we can meet each student’s
learning needs in an enriching environment.
- AML values consultation and collaboration with specialists. We believe that this
partnership makes our teachers more qualified to address your child’s needs on
their learning journey.
- At AML we understand the importance of early intervention, and by having these
specialists on staff if allows for us to be proactive instead of reactive in identifying
both academic challenges and giftedness.
- We understand that many of our families choose to join our learning community
because they do not like the idea of their child being looked-over in the overcrowded
public school classroom. Having these specialists on staff, and providing
screening assessments to all Kindergarteners ensures that your child will never be
overlooked at AML.
- At AML we believe that parents’ need data-driven information in order to make
important decisions about the right learning environment for their children. By
providing each family with objective data (free of charge), parents can confidently
choose if public school education or a private-school environment is the best fit for
- The language-learning specialists progress monitor our student’s academic progress
and share that information with both teachers and parents.
- That valuable information facilitates AML’s ability to differentiate instruction in order
to meet your child’s diverse learning needs.
– The speech-language pathologist and learning disability specialist provides teacher
in-services for our staff so that we can facilitate our teacher’s ongoing professional
– The learning specialist provides push-in intervention services to the Kindergarten and
Lower Elementary classrooms at no extra cost to our families.
– The speech-language pathologist and learning specialists are available to provide
additional small-group intervention to the students that will benefit from additional
services at an additional cost.
- AML provides transportation to the children who attend Twice Exceptional Speech,
Language and Educational Therapy twice a week during the school day at no
additional cost to our families. We do this because we value high-quality, researchbased
intervention, and we understand how busy the after-school hours are for our
At Adventure Montessori, we have experienced, Montessori-certified teachers ensure each student’s success in a caring and structured environment, which includes:
- Special emphasis on global concepts.
- Child-sized tools – from furniture to flatware – encouraging self-reliance.
- Self-correcting classroom materials specialized for each level of development.
- Fresh, organic lunch and snack program.
- Orchards for students to pick their own fruit.
- Gardens for all ages fresh vegetables.
- Low student-teacher ratio for a tailored program.
- Foreign languages (Spanish and Mandarin Chinese)
- Regular, student-led service projects to strengthen our communities.
- State-of-the-art facility conveniently located in Lafayette, Colorado
- Premium education programming for ages six weeks through twelve years.
- Developing responsibility by caring for animals in classrooms and on miniature farm
Adventure Montessori Learning preschool began as a dream in the heart of Evajean Boyd. She discovered the value of Montessori Education during a difficult time in the life of her son. The Montessori education and philosophy was so instrumental in the education of her son that she purposed in her heart to someday provide the Montessori education for all children. During this time she noted that Montessori education was not available for children of varied social and economic backgrounds. Her goal was to provide a Montessori education that was affordable and accessible to children of all races and economic backgrounds.
Today, building a new school in Lafayette, CO to provide a secure environment that creates love of learning to children from 6 wks mo’s to 12 years old in the Thornton and Denver area. Adventure Montessori Preschool is proud to provide an early childcare setting where preschoolers are valued and respected. We know we provide more than a traditional daycare. Our Montessori program is based on self-direction, non-competitive and cooperative activities that help a child develop a strong self-image, high levels of academic and social competence, and the confidence to face challenges with optimism.
Children are encouraged to make decisions from an early age. Montessori preschool educated children are problem solvers who can make appropriate choices, manage their time, and work well with others. These positive communication skills build the foundations for a love of learning for a lifetime.
Please visit the Colorado Montessori Assoication at www.coloradomontessoriassociation.org